But breakfast was always a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants type of affair. When I was in school, it was actually a point of pride for me that I didn't eat breakfast. I didn't NEED to eat breakfast. I was too good for breakfast.
After joining the workforce, I started forcing myself to eat breakfast. Nothing much - a cup of fruit, a bowl of plain oatmeal, toast with homemade jam. Now, workday mornings don't even seem to start until I've had a quick bite as I check email.
It turned out so scrumptiously, I'm looking forward to experimenting with other topping and flavor combinations!
Frozen Apple Raisin Oatmeal Cups
- 2 cups Quick Oats
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Cook oats and salt in water according to directions on the package. When cooked through, add brown sugar and cinnamon; stir until completely blended.
- Coat 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or melted butter. Fill cups evenly with oatmeal. Top with apples and raisins; press toppings into oatmeal to make sure they freeze into the mixture.
- Allow oats to partially cool, then place pan in the freezer for several hours. When completely frozen, transfer to Ziploc bags and place in the freezer.
- To serve, place 2 frozen muffins in a microwave safe container, add 1/4 milk and heat for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on high, stirring halfway through.
All content and images are ©The Casual Diva, except where otherwise noted. Content may not be republished without prior consent of the author.